Gujarat State Handloom & Handicrafts Development Corporation Ltd., (GSHHDC), an undertaking of Government of Gujarat was established in 1973 with the main objective of identification, revival, development of handicrafts and handlooms of Gujarat. With the advent of GSHHDC, it has been possible to develop handloom and handicraft products and a continuous process of providing design input to make the products having more utilitarian value and suitable for contemporary life style without altering the traditional values of craftsmanship.Thousands of artisans/weavers, who are inhabited in rural, urban and even remote area of Gujarat, are covered under its various schemes of training and designs development.
Their products have received acclamation not only across the country but in overseas countries too. Our activities have helped in creating sustainable employment opportunities and income generation to the artisans working in the area of handloom and handicrafts, which is a non farming sector of our Indian economy. With a view that ample marketing opportunities are available to these artisans/weavers, the Corporation markets their products through its GARVI-GURJARI chain of emporia across the country and supply to exporters, which has created its market in overseas countries.
Gujarat has an array a rich variety of crafts. Its embroidery, bead work, wood crafts, printed and woven clothes, pottery and tribal art are expression of the folklore and festivals. The exclusive range of these works of craftsmen and woven imbued with the social and cultural hue of the region from where they have sprung are original in nature and craftsmanship. Today far moved from the hut or the village of the craftsman, pieces of handicrafts come to adorn the houses of the elite, the five star hotels both at home and abroad.
Vision – Mission
- Identification, revival, development, promotion and marketing of handloom and handicraft products of Gujarat.
- Organizing exhibitions, tribal melas for selling and creating awareness of handloom, handicrafts and tribal crafts of Gujarat among prospective buyers.
- Providing marketing support to the artisans/weavers by way of procuring the products and selling through its chain of Garvi-Gurjari emporia.
- Providing assistance to the artisans/weavers in the field of design development, quality raw materials and development of new value added products suiting to the contemporary market requirement and fashion trends.
- Creating employment opportunities and sustainable income to the rural artisans/weavers.
- To implement the schemes of Government of India and Government of Gujarat to the benefit of artisans and weavers.
Shri Deva Babu Ande (IFS)